Wednesday, January 6

Retarded

(From Webster)
Pronunciation: \ri-'tär-ded\
Function: adjective
Date: 1895
sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

Monica called this morning to confirm my suspicion that I might, indeed, be mildly retarded. But, she assured me that I was not alone.

On the same day as the "that girl on the right" debacle, we stopped by the gas station. I rarely have to get gas...maybe, say, once a month. J usually takes care of that. I can handle pumping gas, what's foreign to me are these ever changing monster money taker machines at the gas pump. It's usually about the same at every gas station. You push "Pay outside" slide your card, wait for confirmation, and select the fuel grade. Easy right?

But what happens when you come to a station that has black duct tape over the "Pay outside" button (at each pump)? Well, if you're like me, you push the "pay inside" button and be on your merry way...pump gas, and go inside. If only it were that easy. I had my card out ready to pay AT THE PUMP. My wallet was still in the car...open. It was freezing outside, and I didn't want to have to make another trip back out to the car to get my ID, if the attendant asked for it, so I asked Monica to hand me my wallet. Like the klutz that I am, I manage to spill the contents of my wallet on the ground surrounding the gas pump. Gift cards galore, my debit card, and other cards (insurance, etc) were scattered everywhere. I was frustrated. And cold. Very cold.

After collecting my things, and regaining my composure, I took my wallet inside to pay. I signed the receipt and went on my way.

That was last weekend. Today Monica called to tell me that she was at the same gas station and there was a sign on the pumps that said if you want to pay at the pump, there is no need to select a button, just insert your card. That's when it occurred to me that I really should have known that. And so should the other people who had been going inside to pay. As unintelligent as I felt at that moment, I had to smile. How unbelievably simple.

1 comment:

  1. shocking. don't you have a job that has something to do with technology? just minutely?

    i heard about the cold in your neck of the woods. and i am so sorry you had to endure that! all my northern blood is drained out of me - i would be a Popsicle if i had to pump gas in IL.

    ReplyDelete