Sunday, April 25

House Rules

Monica lent me her copy of House Rules, and I just finished it today.

I've considered parenting pretty tough at times, but I know what J and I go through is nothing like what Emma went through. She's a single parent who has completely restructured and re-prioritized her life to accommodate an autistic child. I'm making a huge assumption here, but I think most parents of autistic children would draw the line at getting an appropriate IEP for their child. Emma researched supplements and special diets to help her son. I know this is a work of fiction, but there are likely hundreds of parents out there doing the same thing. I admire them - I wouldn't be able to do what they do.

Do I recommend the book? Probably not. I didn't look forward to reading it each day the way I have with other books, but it's not bad. It was good enough to finish ;)

Thanks Monica for passing this book my way!

What's next on the list is TBD.

I have a stack of books from my MIL that have been on my book shelf for a while:
My Losing Season (Pat Conroy)
The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)
What is What (Dave Eggers)
The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
The Last Promise (Richard Paul Evans)
Testimony (Anita Shreve)
A Thread of Truth (Marie Bostwick)

I'm leaning toward The Art of Racing in the Rain, although there are about 20 books in the mini library at work I can choose from.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. Finished the book several weeks ago and wasn't blown away like some of her other books have. I do give her credit for getting that topic out there. I didn't know near as much as I should have with Aspergers/Autism. The lengths one parents goes through...
    Have you heard of the Sookie Stackhouse series? By no means does it compare to the addiction of Twilight but it's in the same genre. Not too bad once you get into it. The HBO series, True Blood, derives from the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only one on your list that i read was the time travelers wife. it was great but i recommended the audio book.

    ReplyDelete