Friday, February 4

So I can’t cook.

Martha’s recipe text that day was for beef stroganoff. I’ve eaten it once, about ten years ago. JP cooked it for me. I couldn’t remember if I liked it or not, but I wanted to do something nice…doesn’t happen that often.

The recipe seemed easy enough.

What could go wrong?

I grabbed everything I needed – a pound of beef tenderloin, salt & pepper, canola oil, an onion, white mushrooms, beef stock, Dijon mustard, and sour cream (sigh).

Easy enough. – so far so good.

I sliced the beef (confession: deligated this to JP – I don’t like touching raw meet) into two-inch-long strips (one inch wide, 1/4 inch thick). I tossed them into the pan with the oil to brown. Then I set it aside.
I sliced the onion into strips and added it to the skillet to brown. I wasn’t as grossed-out by the oil when I was cooking it as I am looking at the shot now.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I added the mushrooms.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And let them brown. Gorgeous. I couldn’t wait taste these.
 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I added the Dijon
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
and the broth and let it simmer for a while. I wish you could have smelled it. It was divine. I was so excited to try it.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I added the meat back and let it warm for a few minutes.

Then, like an idiot, I added a cup of sour cream.

Yes – one full cup. The recipe called for 1/2 cup.

All that hard work, only to be foiled at the last minute.

I was crushed.
 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Final product…
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then I read my My Awesome Aunt Barb’s facebook post and realized she was probably right – it probably was better with the extra sour cream – Martha knows nothing.

Seriously though, I think it tasted pretty terrible. JP ate it and didn’t complain once.

P.S.: Bex, is your cooking blog still up? I lost the address. I may have to go back to stalking PW. She’s everywhere – literally. Her face is all over magazines, other blogs, etc. Love her.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I believe the extra sour cream probably improved it.

    griggrecipes.blogspot.com

    You might like to cook casseroles. You can prep them on the weekends, pop them in the oven when you get home from work and munch on leftovers to heart's content! I have many casserole recipes on my blog. I heart them.

    PW is my hero.

    ReplyDelete