Sunday, June 23

Baby Quilt

I love Jelly Rolls. They really catch my eye. Something about how cutely (it that a word?) they're coiled together just sitting on the shelf. I really don't have a need for them though. I was at JoAnn's the other day and this little guy was on sale so I snagged it.

I don't typically like quilts. It seems like a lot of work for a blanket. But, a baby quilt, without fancy quilting I can handle. I had the hardest time figuring out the best layout for these colors. Because I'm a huge dork, I made a prototype. I took small slips of baby and colored them similarly to each strip of fabric. Don't make fun - there were only 20 in this pack so it wasn't a horrible waste of time.
 
Admit it, you saw my fancy math and numbering system and were jealous.

To be sure I liked the layout, I started laying the pieces of fabric out. I quickly realized that I had already been working on this for over a week, hadn't started actually sewing yet, and was ready to get it finished.

I decided that I liked the prototype and proceeded to slip and number my fabric with a washable fabric marker.

The next part was fast. I managed to sew the slices together in two short days. Yes, TWO days...not two hours. I think I like it.

Now I need to figure out if I want to stick with a solid white backing or do something creative. I'll just be machine-stitching over the existing seams - no fancy quilting for me or this won't get done until Brinley is in college. So, I know you'll be eagerly awaiting pictures of the final project. Grab a drink - it might be a while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment