I don't typically like quilts. It seems like a lot of work for a blanket. But, a baby quilt, without fancy quilting I can handle. I had the hardest time figuring out the best layout for these colors. Because I'm a huge dork, I made a prototype. I took small slips of baby and colored them similarly to each strip of fabric. Don't make fun - there were only 20 in this pack so it wasn't a horrible waste of time.
To be sure I liked the layout, I started laying the pieces of fabric out. I quickly realized that I had already been working on this for over a week, hadn't started actually sewing yet, and was ready to get it finished.
I decided that I liked the prototype and proceeded to slip and number my fabric with a washable fabric marker.
The next part was fast. I managed to sew the slices together in two short days. Yes, TWO days...not two hours. I think I like it.
Now I need to figure out if I want to stick with a solid white backing or do something creative. I'll just be machine-stitching over the existing seams - no fancy quilting for me or this won't get done until Brinley is in college. So, I know you'll be eagerly awaiting pictures of the final project. Grab a drink - it might be a while :)